Saturday, June 6, 2009

Yet Another Garden Update

I've hit an interesting phase with the garden. On the one hand, it's getting really cool because we're starting to harvest quite a lot of schtuff. On the other hand, the honeymoon phase has worn off -- it's getting to be really hard work.

So far we've harvested yellow squash, zucchini, green beans, peppers, onions, carrots, peas, spinach, lettuce, and corn. As you might guess, the squash and zucchini are going bonkers. Our tomato plants are getting huge -- higher than my waist -- and we have a bunch of tomatoes forming, two or three inches in diameter.

Our corn is killing me. I just realized today that we have worms eating the heck out of it. I pulled off most of it -- about 30 ears -- because it was totally wasted. I brought home four good ears that we'll eat tomorrow, though they also had worms in the tops. I sprayed the plants with insecticide so hopefully our next batch will do better.

Check out the recent pictures. I've included some old ones as well because it's cool to see the progression.










Here's a picture of our nasty, hide-chapping corn. Blasted worms.



In addition to our six tomato plants in the garden, we also hung three tomato plants in buckets on our fence at the house. You cut a hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket, thread the plant through so it hangs out the bottom, fill the bucket with dirt, and hang it up three or four feet off the ground. We're told that this will produce higher yields than plants in the ground, but we'll see.

3 comments:

Anaise said...

The garden is really beautiful--isn't it amazing how satisfying growing things are?

Camille said...

I had to comment here, too. My mouth is wide open.... I am sooo impressed. i've always wanted to do this! this year I learned how to make fresh jam. that's my food storage contribution. :)

Judy Francisco said...

What a gorgeous garden! I would be SO DANG mad at the worms too.